Is salt the cure for all things?

protoxeno

Hey guys, so far from my experience in keeping aro, medication is not really needed and most problems like parasites, ick and such other common things, my pickling salt works better then the medication I buy from BA's.

Any deadly and non-deadly diseases that can't be cured simply by adding salt and raising temp?

homebrewed

Super Moderator
I've never had to treat any of my arowana... yet. But I'll keep that in mind if something comes up.

As for salt as a med, I use it with my koi any time I see any symptoms of illness and it does work wonders. Flukes, ulcers, fin rot, whatever. Seems to be a cure all for them.

DragonfishExotics

Only time I have ever added salt, is when I moved a 22" HBRTG and he dropped a scale, I added a tiny amount of salt to aid with infection.

Salt does seem to be the cure all, some people when they see a problem arise they run out right away and start adding chemicals to the water, if they only knew that for most things you just need to raise the temp a bit and add salt.

Not sure if salt works for fungus, does anyone know if it does?

m_class2g

Sponsor
i put in a bit of salt every time i change the water. been doing this for many years now and ive never had a sick aro.

ninjaturtle

1 more thing to add... if you use salt on a regular basis with water changes, salt will be useless as a remedy when something does happen to ur fish.

protoxeno

1 more thing to add... if you use salt on a regular basis with water changes, salt will be useless as a remedy when something does happen to ur fish.

Oh really? I didn't know that, lucky I don't put salt for WC. But if you do put salt regularly, would it prevent somethign from happening?

ninjaturtle

well ppl who add salt for WC is proactive... ppl who add when things happen r reactive. personally i find being reactive makes the salt a lot more useful. but diff ppl have diff experiences.

Yuppa

Super Moderator
I believe the problem with keeping your water salted at all times, if its a very low salt concentration, parasites or bugs that salt would normally kill, can get a resistance to it.

that being said, ive salted my water for years without problems.

and i completely agree, chemicals ARE NOT NEEDED

most of aro illness can be cured with warm water and salt!!!

danfong88

Yes, my aro lost 3 scales, and adding salt is help the scale recover quicker. I tired green tea and Melfix and it does not work as well as salt.