Aro smuggling case in USA

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
These cases seem to pop up every so often:

http://articles.nydailynews.com/201..._arowana-queens-man-water-filled-plastic-bags

Queens man gets year in jail for fish smuggling?

JOHN MARZULLI
Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Brooklyn judge struck a blow for endangered fish the world over, sentencing a Queens man Wednesday to one year in jail for smuggling the bony-tongued Arowana in his suitcase.

The rare fish is sold on the black market in Chinatown and Asian neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens for up to $8,000 apiece because of its supposed power to bring good luck .

But Chee Chaw has had nothing but bad luck since his suitcase was misplaced during a transfer from Hong Kong, and the fishy contraband was discovered after the bag arrived on a later flight.
Nine of the 16 fish, packed in water-filled plastic bags, died during the journey. Four more fish from a previous smuggling mission were recovered in his Elmhurst apartment.
pixel.gif

pixel.gif

"He's contributing to the demise of this fish by importing them into the United States," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Tiana Demas.
The prosecutor said Chaw had smuggled fish at on at least three occasions since 2004. A previous arrest was disposed of with an $850 fine.

Chaw, 49, a salesman at a natural gas supplier in Brooklyn, wept and begged for mercy so he could visit his elderly parents in Malaysia.
"I will not do anything stupid to harm my country again," said Chaw, a U.S. citizen. "I learned my lesson well for my wrongdoing. I beg your gracious pardon."

Federal Judge Sandra Townes listened patiently, but then told the defendant that his words that carried the most weight were uttered after his arrest, when he told U.S. Fish and Wildlife agents that the law protecting endangered fish was "bull----."

"I think, Mr. Chaw, that is how you truly feel about the law," Townes said. "I believe deterrence of your criminal conduct requires a jail sentence."

Chaw was also slapped with a $4,000 fine. He had faced up to two years in prison.

pixel.gif

homebrewed

Super Moderator
Although I don't agree with smuggling anything illegal, statements like ""He's contributing to the demise of this fish by importing them into the United States" are ridiculous.

steelheader

It's typical uneducated Americans of the outside world these fish have lics farms for hobbiest and collectors who admire and goes as far as worship dude needs a new lawyer

chen88

Super Moderator
i can almost guarantee you that there are more asian aro's in the us than we have here in Canada!..its a matter of population!