Asian arowana scam scam scam

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
It looks like the scammers of the world are trying to up their game (a bit). I've exchanged emails with someone who asked my opinion about the following "Asian arowana farm" in - Cameroon Africa! Apparently these guys have been operating for many years now, which is of course why everyone on this forum knows of them. :D

Their home site is: http://aquaticplant.page.tl/Home.htm

Note how all the fish stock for sale are in reality a massive jumble of "key words" designed to score high on Google's search algorithm. These guys are trolling the internet using Google to bring people to them. I have reason to believe the same guys (or look alikes) are also busy making use of kijiji across Canada and similar internet classified sites around the world.

Moving on, if you check out the gallery here http://aquaticplant.page.tl/Gallery.htm
you will see a photo of what looks like Derek Goh of Pang Long arowana harvesting aros! I have taken the liberty to attach a copied photo of that image to this post. :rolleyes:

Note also that their website is not even a proper stand alone URL domain, but instead a weird kind of derrivative site which provides pop up ads if you surf around it and move back and forwards with your browser. It would not surprise me if this site harbours viruses (thank God for Norton).

Moving on again, they post the following about themselves on their home page:

Our Company is currently known as Aquatic Plant Co Ltd, We are one of the most leading company of Aquarium suppliers, We own a 22 hectare, 8 ponds farm there and we have been breeding arowana and Stingrays there since 2001. We deliver the confidence of high quality fish , our priority is to make sure buyers are satisfy with our products, Our compnay comply with the requirements of the Endangered Species Act and of CITES of the Appendix I of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). which permit us to import and export all specie of the Asain Arowana legally. we are license to export our fishes to all EU countries as well as U.S.A and Canada. We also supply aquarium tanks and accessories of best quality. Try US NOW. Company Profile Basic Information Company Name: AQUATIC PLANT CO LTD Type: Trading, Distributor/ Fish Shipping Service Number of Employees: 20 People Year Established: 2001 Registered Capital: Below US$100 Thousand Ownership Type: Professional Association Legal Representative/Business Owner: Mr TAH MBALINGA Total Annual Sales Volume: Below US$200 thousand Export Percentage: 71% - 80% Factory Information Factory Size: Below 1,000 square meters Factory Location: Douala QA/QC: In House No. of Production Lines: 3 No. of R&D Staff: 5 - 10 People No. of QC Staff: 5 - 10 People

Note there is no CITES number provided. Whoever "Tah Mbalinga" is, he does not sound like any Asian arowana farm owner I have ever heard of, especially for one said to have been around since 2001!

I was forwarded an email from this company that ran as follows:

Hi,
Nice hearing from you,
We are currently on auction sales and gives out our fishes at low prices,
the fishes are 9 to 10 inches of size, healthy and strong, has
good fins with no drop eye.
They feed mostly from shrimps, worm and Crickets, but we advice
all our buyer to feed them with much crickets in other to
increase their color and quality,
following our fishes in stock and prices goes thus>

Super Red Arowana....................... 250 usd
Red Tail Golden............................ 200 usd
24K Golden Head .......................... 350 usd
Blue base golden ......................... 400 usd

We Pack the fishes in a Styrofoam plastic box, With oxygen, with
standard size of carton boxes (25cm x 20cm x 25cm), Styrofoam
with double plastic bags. This keep them strong and healthy when
been transported, We assured 100% replacement of fish if (D.O.A)
Death On arrival. In case of any death fish the delivery agent
will notify us for immediate replacement. The fishes are being
shipped from Bali, Cameroon. That is where our farm is located.
We own a 22 hectare, 8 ponds farm there and we have been breeding
arowana there since 2001. we are one of the most leading company
of arowana sales, so buying from us give you 100% guarantee and
security of receiving your fish in good and perfect health,
please do make your choice of fish and let us know we have your
command schedule on the next available flight to your provide
address,
thanks and awaiting your respond.

To us "old hands" on this forum there are many give aways to this being a scam. The pricing that is "too good to be true" (or just plain bizarre - RTG's cost within $200 of 24KXB?), the "auction format" (never heard of it), the mention of Bali (in Indonesia) along with Cameroon (in Africa). And then of course there is the pathetic grammar/punctuation that riddles the writing (always a give away for Nigerian email scams). Sadly, for less educated people out there, people who have English as a second language, or those who are totally new to the hobby, there is enough to perhaps lead someone to get taken. I don't think it will take long for these scammers to improve their websites further and for unsuspecting people to lose their hard earned money.

Beware.

Attachments

• arowana scam photo.jpg
    arowana scam photo.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 958

tomuhs

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I actually had emailed these folks but when I received their pricing list, I immediately knew that there was something wrong with this.

Graeme

Too funny I responded to one of these adds last night I had a pretty good Idea it was a scam before hand.

here is a little more to add to the pile
Yes Our Company AQUATIC PLANT FISH FARM will take care of Clerification and customs charges, we are Cites Approves (A-CM-533) and ensured 100% guaranatee of our buyers to received their fishes with no complication and in good health.

mitchb

I just started to play with these people too today, I am waiting for a picture of a spoon beside my spoon head arowana and a note that says my name on it.... They also told me the $250 could get me a 24k fish because I was special :)

Graeme

I told them I would like to get 6 Super Red Arowana. and 2 Blue base golden and I would pay for the fish once they arrived.

awaiting a response.

tomuhs

Ya I emailed them asking whether they provided a CITES cert; of course they said no but they claimed that they were registered with them. I probed them a bit more and they provided me with the following number #15223760A. Doesn't seem to be even in the right format...buncha crooks.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I would guess this is just the beginning. They should have nice Youtube videos up soon, wouldn't surprise me if they even make fake forums. I had an experience the other day where I clicked on a hyperlinked word on a forum and got taken to a thread on another "forum" all about how I could make $5500 at home! :rolleyes: