wild caught marble motoros

david16

I see some members here bought wild caughts from Oliver. How do you acclimatize the new rays? What medication do you use to treat them (e.g. deworm)?

I plan to get couple of small wc marbles from Oliver in the near future unless anyone has tank bred ones in the Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal area :)

I will keep them alone in a 75g bare bottom tank for the first couple of months. Then they will be moved to a 225g tank (30" wide) with sand bottom and a HBRTG arowana. Hopefully the marbles don't get near as big as the motoros.

What type of sand do you recommend? How much nitrates can they tolerate? For the discus tank I change water to keep the nitrates below 10ppm. Is that good enough for the marbles?

thanks.
/David.

chen88

Super Moderator
hi David, all of the WC rays I've ever purchased comes from oliver...I've dealt with Oliver for years and years. Hikari PraziPro should be used on WC rays when you get them. It'll get rid of any potential parasites from river system or the suppliers from overseas. Works great. Oliver will probably tell you this as well.

Acclimatize your rays like you would any other fish...i don't wait too long before I dump them into my tank...the water in your tank is usually in better condition then in the bag the rays comes in...rule of thumb so get them acclimatize right away and dump in.

I have a bare bottom tank...so I can't really say what type of sand works best...also depends on your filter system as you definitely don't want to stir the sand too much that it gets into your motors of your filter system...

Nitrate? will most fish can not tolerate them too much and rays is top on the list as they don't have scales and nitrate burns can kill them fairly quick! especially if they have not started to eat and built up their immune system.

Marbles are easier to keep in my opinion....and less stress due to the cost of them but nevertheless rays are rays and care definitely should be taken to keep them growing!.

30" width will be a must for a marble as they grow! quick too!

Good luck!