Another Monster Journey : Setting Up Monster 600 Gallon

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
The prices in the USA are much better than in Canada. I'm trying to get my LFS to come down in price. He already has several hooked up in his shop, including the one that is intended for a 30,000 gallon pond.

carcrazy

I have hooked up my UltimaII 2000 on my 270g tank and it seems to be working just fine. It is really quiet with the Reeflo Baracuda pump as well. I had to put the return about 1' below the surface in the tank to make a nice flow. Originally I had it near the surface and it was turning the tank into a Jacuzi! What kind of pump are you going to use with the Ultima 6000?

neoprodigy

Today I got my Ehiem 2262 from HarleyK ! thanks Kristian! went to lowes picking some supplies... flex pcv and the micron bag filter are coming tomorrow!! so maybe this week i will add water

neoprodigy

after talking to JohnPTC .. i think my reeflo hammerhead (4880GPH at 9') is under size for backwashing. so i will be running 2 reeflo hammerhead during backwashing...

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
I have hooked up my UltimaII 2000 on my 270g tank and it seems to be working just fine. It is really quiet with the Reeflo Baracuda pump as well. I had to put the return about 1' below the surface in the tank to make a nice flow. Originally I had it near the surface and it was turning the tank into a Jacuzi! What kind of pump are you going to use with the Ultima 6000?

Did you get the Ultima from Yew Wing?

neoprodigy

reeflo hammerhead x 1 during normal running
reeflo hammerhead x 2 during backwashing...

you got a pix of your setup?

neoprodigy

Micron bag filter is here...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Bag Filters (Felt), 1 Micron
Bag Filters (Felt), 50 Micron
Bag Filters (Felt), 100 Micron
Bag Filters (Mesh), 200 Micron

attachment.php

carcrazy

Did you get the Ultima from Yew Wing?

Yes, I did get it from Ewing. The filters seemed to be working well for him so I thought I'd give it a try (after talking myself into another spending spree).

I don't have a camera yet, so I can't take a picture of my setup. It is pretty basic, I just used 1" flexible hose connected to 1" pvc pipe for the return and intake. I placed the intake about 2' below the surface and the return about 1'. There isn't very much surface movement but there is current lower down to move the dirt that might settle in the gravel. I am using a Baracuda as a pump that is sitting on an old padded kitchen chair to reduce noise from the pump. It is working well with just the barest hint of sound. The pressure guage is reading at a steady 5 psi. I am considering getting a second Ultima 1000 for the 320g tank (it already has a 60g sump and an XP3 canister filter). I have a spare Reeflo Dart that should be big enough.

neoprodigy

Yes, I did get it from Ewing. The filters seemed to be working well for him so I thought I'd give it a try (after talking myself into another spending spree).

I don't have a camera yet, so I can't take a picture of my setup. It is pretty basic, I just used 1" flexible hose connected to 1" pvc pipe for the return and intake. I placed the intake about 2' below the surface and the return about 1'. There isn't very much surface movement but there is current lower down to move the dirt that might settle in the gravel. I am using a Baracuda as a pump that is sitting on an old padded kitchen chair to reduce noise from the pump. It is working well with just the barest hint of sound. The pressure guage is reading at a steady 5 psi. I am considering getting a second Ultima 1000 for the 320g tank (it already has a 60g sump and an XP3 canister filter). I have a spare Reeflo Dart that should be big enough.

cool! how often you backwash your ultima? and how well it keep your water clear?

carcrazy

I just set up the filter a week ago and the tank is still cycling, so I haven't needed to backwash the filter yet. I did do this by accident when I first turned on the pump. I definitely had a lot of flow going out of the filter during backwash (5 gallons all over the rug in about 10 seconds). I'll have to wait and see how quickly the filter gets dirty with my light bioload before I can do a proper backwash. I'll let you know how it does.